Family Care Partnership Appeals

iCare Family Care Partnership

If you are asking to appeal a decision for your Family Care Partnership benefits, an appeal request can be made either orally or in writing. An oral filing must be followed up with a written request. Verbal or written requests must be received within 60 calendar days from the date of the denial letter.

There are three ways in which you can request to appeal a denied service: local appeal, DHS Review, and or/ Fair Hearing. Please note that you may choose to begin with any of these three options but cannot request a local appeal if the denial has been upheld after a DHS Review or Fair Hearing.

Two Types of Local Appeals:

Standard: Standard appeal decisions are made no later than 30 calendar days from receiving the request for an appeal. Independent Care may extend the timeframe up to 14 calendar days if you request the extension or if iCare is able to justify that an extension is in your best interest. To make a local appeal, please contact your iCare Care Manager or Member Rights Specialist. You can also start the process by filling out and sending in this request form: FCP Appeals Request Form

Expedited (fast) Appeal: You can ask for an expedited appeal if you feel your health could be in jeopardy by waiting the standard timeframe. Expedited appeals can be transferred to the standard timeframe if it is determined your life is not in serious jeopardy. Independent Care will decide whether the appeal qualifies as expedited within 2 business days. If the request for a fast appeal is denied, you will be notified in writing of your right to file an expedited grievance.

If iCare agrees that your appeal should be expedited, it will follow the same steps as a standard appeal. The appeal process will be completed within 72 hours from receiving the appeal request.

Standard appeals must be submitted within 60 calendar days from the date on the denial notice by writing to:

  • Quality Improvement Department
  • Attention: Member Appeals
  • Independent Care Health Plan
  • 1555 N. RiverCenter Dr. Ste. 206
  • Milwaukee, WI 53212-3958

  • Phone: (414) 223-4847
  • Toll Free: (800) 777-4376
  • TTY: 800-947-3529
  • Fax: (414) 918-7592

An iCare Member Rights Specialist can inform you of your rights, attempt to informally resolve your concern, and assist you with filing an appeal. He or she cannot represent you at a State fair hearing. To contact iCare’s Member Rights Specialist:

  • Member Rights Specialist
  • Independent Care Health Plan
  • 1555 North RiverCenter Drive
  • Suite 206
  • Milwaukee, WI 53212

  • Phone: (414) 231-1076
  • Toll Free: (800) 777-4376
  • TTY: 800-947-3529
  • Fax: (414) 231-1090

The following independent ombudsman agencies may be able to provide you with free assistance. These agencies advocate for Family Care Partnership members.

  • For members age 18 to 59:
  • Disability Rights Wisconsin Family Care and IRIS Ombudsman Program
  • Call the office closest to you:
    • Toll Free Madison: (800) 928-8778
    • Milwaukee: (800) 708-3034
    • Rice Lake: (877) 338-3724
    • TTY (888) 758-6049
  • For members age 60 and older:
  • Wisconsin Board on Aging and Long Term Care
  • Toll Free (800) 815-0015

To file an appeal with Medicare directly, please use this link: Medicare Complaint Form

What Happens Next?

  • Step 1: Within 5 business days you will receive an acknowledgment letter confirming your appeal has been received
  • Step 2: Within 30 calendar days of receiving your appeal iCare will investigate and make all reasonable efforts to gather additional information relevant to your appeal
  • Step 3: An Appeal Committee meeting is scheduled. Members are encouraged to attend the appeal meeting and speak with the Committee
  • Step 4: After the Committee reviews all of the information, and speaks to the member, a decision is made to either approve or deny the benefit
  • Step 5: If the Committee determines to approve the service, iCare will authorize the service in dispute
  • Step 6: If the Committee determines to deny the benefit, you can ask the state to review the denial or request a Fair Hearing

Department of Health Services Review

You may also choose to have this decision reviewed by MetaStar, the Department of Health Services’ external Quality Review Organization. MetaStar will try to resolve your concerns informally. You can request to have your services continued during the review, if you request the review on or before the effective date of the intended action. If you request a state fair hearing, MetaStar will automatically review your appeal. Please note, however, that MetaStar cannot require any MCO to change its decision.

To request that MetaStar review your case immediately or to learn more about a MetaStar review, call 1-888-203-8338. You may also request a MetaStar review by mail, fax, or email.

  • DHS Family Care and Partnership Grievances, C/O MetaStar
  • 2909 Landmark Place
  • Madison, WI 53713
  • Fax: (608) 274-8340
  • E-mail MetaStar at

Fair Hearing

If you choose to request a fair hearing with the State of Wisconsin’s Division of Hearings and Appeals, you will have a hearing with an independent judge. You may bring an advocate, friend, family member or witnesses. You may also present evidence at this hearing. If you request a State Fair Hearing, your appeal will automatically go through a Department of Health Services review.

To file a request for a fair hearing, you can ask for a hearing and/or a hearing form from the Member Rights Specialist at 414-231-1076. You can also request a hearing form from one of the independent ombudsman agencies listed or you can go online and get a form at:

You can send the completed request form or a letter asking for a hearing and a copy of this notice to:

  • Family Care Request for Fair Hearing, c/o Wisconsin Division of Hearings and Appeals
  • 5005 University Ave. #201
  • Madison, WI 53705-5400
  • or
  • Fax: 608-264-9885

Modified: 6/7/2019

Independent Care Health Plan (iCare) is a Medicare Advantage (HMO SNP) organization with a Medicare contract and a contract with the State Medicaid program. Enrollment in plans insured by iCare depends on contract renewal. Plans insured by iCare are available to anyone who has both Medical Assistance from the State and Medicare. For more information about long-term care options available to you, contact your local Aging and Disability Resource Center (ADRC). The ADRC can also assist you with information about eligibility and enrollment. This information is not a complete description of benefits. Call 1-800-777-4376 (TTY:1-800-947-3529) for more information. Independent Care Health Plan complies with applicable Federal civil rights laws and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, or sex. ATENCIÓN: Si habla español, tiene a su disposición servicios gratuitos de asistencia lingüística. Llame al 1-800-777-4376 (TTY: 1-800-947-3529). LUS CEEV: Yog tias koj hais lus Hmoob, cov kev pab txog lus, muaj kev pab dawb rau koj. Hu rau 1-800-777-4376 (TTY: 1-800-947-3529).

  • H2237_IC2029
  • Independent Care Health Plan
  • 1555 RiverCenter Drive, Suite 206
  • Milwaukee, WI 53212
  • Customer Service: 1-800-777-4376
    • 24 hours-a-day, 7 days-a-week
    • (Office Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.)
  • TTY: 1-800-947-3529
  • Fax: 414-231-1092
  • All content and images unless otherwise indicated are
  • Copyright © 2019 Independent Care Health Plan